How it all began
In 1957, the first Plasser & Theurer machine was delivered in the U.S. to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company. During the first few years, most machines supplied were used in the Eastern U.S., therefore the customer service center was located in New Jersey until 1960.
In 1961, Plasser Railway Maintenance Corporation was founded in Rockford, Illinois, to support machines that were being delivered in the mid-west and western U.S. In Rockford, production was carried out for the national market and for export overseas to countries such as Turkey and Pakistan.
From 1968, with the introduction of the first machine in compact design, the sales volume rose dramatically. Compared with 115 machines sold during the first ten years, sales rose to 790 in the next ten years.
During the mid-1960’s, our company was renamed Plasser American Corporation and in 1970, the plant was relocated to the East Coast in Chesapeake, Virginia. Due to its location in a milder climate, it became possible to test machines year round. Chesapeake is also very close to the Atlantic seaport of Hampton Roads.
In 1973, the plant was expanded and production increased for manufacturing Universal Roadmaster and Universal Yard Tampers. Since then, several additional expansions were completed to further increase production capacity and better serve our customers.
What we are today
From a small operation with five employees in 1960, we are now more than 200 employees headquartered in a modern 150,000+ square foot facility.
We are actively engaged in all sectors of research, design, production, marketing and customer service to provide Plasser know-how and standard of quality for our customers. Our capacity is not only sufficient to build all machines for the national market, but also to produce for export.